It’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for……the return to Glamis Avenue and Sandringham Athletics Track. We start at 9am this Saturday, with just the one session for all athletes.
While we are very grateful to Caulfield, Moorabbin and Oakleigh for supporting us through this “long” track redevelopment, there is no better feeling than having space now in one’s home garage and being able to use all 7 seats in the car.
Thank you to the Committee who have transported and stored most of our equipment for this length of time.
Now on with the news for this week..
A Very Proud Moment – State Combined Championships
Carl is a Committee Member who oversees our track program, has an athlete in Under 16 (also a coach at SLAC) and a son who is SLAC’s ‘race starter asset’. Carl spent a lot of time at Lakeside on the weekend and has kindly put together a fabulous summary including the results of where our athletes ended up in the State (click here for the results):
- SLAC had 21 entered but the dreaded covid scenario impacted some, so overall we had 16 compete
- We had one Under 9 girl compete for the very first time – super effort
- William Tan picked up a Bronze medal in u13 boys (he finished 42nd in last year’s event). Amazing!
- Matthew Milias won Gold in u13 boys
- Isabella Hollins won Silver in u16 girls
Congratulations to all involved. An incredible set of results!
Help on Saturday 5th Feb – Setting up and Cleaning up
If anyone can give us a hand on Saturday morning to set up for the first time at the new track, we would be very grateful. Our robust Committee are now dancing the covid dance and we have a few away on Saturday. Any locals who can come for 7am to help, thank you in advance.
The Program for Saturday 5th February is HERE. It is a one session for the rest of the season starting at 9am with a warm-up, first event 9.15am. The last event you complete is the one that age group parents pack up (if track is your last event, we will assign you an area to pack up).
It’s NEW…It’s Fabulous – it’s the PB wall
- In support of our philosophy of doing your best we have created the PB Wall for each age group. It starts this week and every athlete who gets a PB will be able to put a star against their name for that week. It is 1 star no matter how many PB’s you get in a session however you can write the number of PB’s you get in each session if more than 1 in the middle of your star. GOOD LUCK (and thank you AGM’s in advance of helping us with this one).
- Wednesday coaching – Little Aths is at the track on a Wednesday night 4.30pm – 630pm. Run training will be offered each week for Junior Athletes and Senior Athletes. These sessions will offer technique, acceleration learning, distance and most of all fun. We will offer specific field events depending on coaches availability but if anyone would like to come down and do their own training (note – high jump and javelin…please liaise with Nicole prior) you are welcome to do that. Nicole will be there and have equipment accessible for that time. Sign up is needed for the coaching sessions and will be sent in a separate email later this week.
- Coles Patches – Coles is a major sponsor of Little Athletics and we are extremely grateful of their involvement. Much of the equipment we have comes from grants Coles offer. To show support of this sponsor, athletes are required to wear a Coles patch on their singlet. These are available at Registration/Merchandise. They are to be sewed on above the little aths logo.
Note: Save the date – Coles Community Day at SLAC is on 19th February. It’s dress up day!
See you on Saturday.
e: [email protected]
m: 0413 705 357
Proudly Partnered with: