We wanted to put all athletes that competed at SMR last weekend in the newsletter this week, but instead have highlighted a few happy athletes who had just gone for a 1500m run! Mia Gray, Ethan Miller and Charlotte Dema.
As I stood and carried out my ‘long’ parent duty I was amazed by the number of Sandy athletes running middle distances. I really enjoyed watching them and impressed with their knowledge of the run strategy. Well done to them, such events are not easy to do and we are immensely proud of you.
We also need to say well done to our competing Under 9 athletes. This was their first time at the Track and Field event and they loved the Sandy cheer squad from the hill. Well done the Under 9’s! We will bring you more highlights once we have confirmed details of results and please feel free to share any photos that you’re happy for us to share online.
Now on to things coming up…
- Friday 5th March – it is a twilight Friday session this week at Moorabbin Little Athletics this week (due to the long weekend). The fun starts starts at 5.30pm, and we should be done by about 7.30pm and the Program is here. Parent sign-ups can be done in-person on Friday night.
- Season Calendar date changes: Due to major LAVIC events being cancelled and then rescheduled we have had to now tweak our season calendar. In summary:
- Saturday 13th March – normal program (except for those athletes successful qualifying for State Track and Field).
- Saturday 20th March – Centre Championships is back on..more details to follow on this later this week.
- Saturday 27th March – U6-U8 Program and modified program for U9-U16 not attending State Relays.
- SMR Track and Field – only for those applicable the timetable is here and parent duty sign up is here
- RELAYS – the baton changes hands again with LAVIC announcing alterations to the State Relay Structure. The only races that our kids can now do are the 4x100m and the 4x100m mixed. We are very disappointed with this outcome and determined to find a way we can hold a separate event to support the 200m runners and Medley races which will no longer take place. So kids don’t stop training, we still have to perform our very best in the 100m and your Committee are working behind the scenes (with a few other clubs) to try and coordinate a relay afternoon competing in 200’s and Medley. The diary date is currently Sunday 21st March and we’ll keep you updated…
- Are you interested in being part of our Team? – we are excited to be returning to our home track very soon and welcome any member who would like to join our Committee to work amongst a progressive team to continue to build on all the aspects achieved thus far. You can be as involved as you like, there is always something to help with and personally it is a positive experience- new skills are learnt & shared and we get lot of satisfaction delivering what we do. Have a chat with any of the Committee or call Nicole on 0413 705 357
- COVID – please do remember that COVID practices are still in place – thank you for your support, we really appreciate it.
See you on Friday evening – and thanks for all your ongoing enthusiasm and support!
The Sandy Little Aths Committee
Proudly Partnered with: