It was wonderful to be back home and on a new track. Did you see the PB Wall grow as the morning progressed? The new track bought new PB’s!
A few questions popped up after spending the morning at our new track… to answer a few:
- Grassed not mowed – the Council tried but there we were too many little rocks. Council is working on a solution.
- Lack of grass – the infield grass was not part of the re development and would have been a large additional cost to completely overhaul. Grass seeds have been laid and with more rain & little sun, it will eventually all look amazing.
- Car Park not completed – again this was not part of the development budget. The original stays.
- What is the big cage at the south end? – this is the Hammer Cage.
- High Jump – the location of the two high jump areas is being worked through by the Senior Club with Council. Either a concrete slab is needed to house them on or protective rails in the D section of the track.
- A pole vault training pit has been installed in the back straight long jump area.
- The Senior Club has the lease with the Council for the track and SLAC has a memorandum of understanding in place with the Seniors for use of the track. SLAC is responsible for maintaining the external perimeter shot puts and while 1 is complete the other is not far away. We are extremely grateful to Todd who has overseen this project amongst his kids competing at events, moving all our equipment out of Moorabbin and running his business.
This Week’s Information:
Some 100 SLAC athletes are competing in the Regional Track and Field Competition this weekend. Everyone is excited to see this event take place as too many other events were cancelled last year. Shane has worked tirelessly behind the scenes getting our athletes ready for this event and will spend the weekend at the venue as our Team Manager. We are very appreciative Shane!
Our Program on Saturday is reflective of our lower resource abilities (hence no high jump/scissor/javelin). With so many SLAC athletes competing on the weekend and needing parents to take them to the competition, we will lose a few Age Group Managers and Committee.
We will welcome members from Caulfield and Oakleigh Little Aths to join us on Saturday as they find themselves unable to run a program for their members. Both these clubs have been extremely supportive of SLAC during the track redevelopment so it is our turn to return the kindness. Please make the Parents and Children welcome if they join your age group.
New for some in the Program is an agility course! Parents you are welcome to have a turn too.
Program for Saturday is HERE:
(please pack up the event you are last on, if it is track we will assign you something else).
Note: the coffee van can’t make it this week, but we will try and run a BBQ. The coffee is good at the Thomas Street Grocery (116A Thomas St) and is only a short walk around the corner.
DON’T FORGET WEDNESDAY COACHING AND TRAINING
- Sign up for specific sessions here (running and long jump this week). Coach Kundali is on Run Training and Coach Zoe is on Long Jump.
- Come between 4.30pm and 5.30pm to do your own practice/training (for high jump and javelin please liaise with Nicole).
Coles Patches – Coles is a major sponsor of Little Athletics Australia. They assist all clubs in grant opportunities to acquire much needed equipment resources. Showing support for Coles as a sponsor is done by way of the Coles Patch.
This red label is hand sewn onto your singlet above the LAVIC logo (see here). We have these at our registration table if you don’t already have one. We have a great relationship with Coles, have been a recipient of a small equipment grant in the past and enjoyed many fruit donations from our local store (something they have put on hold since COVID). Our Coles Community Day is set for 19th February and it’s DRESS UP DAY AGAIN.
Finally to those competing in Regionals on the weekend, Nicole will be at the track from 4.30pm – 5.30pm tonight (Wednesday) for Coles patches, shorts/singlets etc.
See everyone else on Saturday and good luck to our competitors at Regionals this weekend – may your greatest strengths shine!
Need to chat or have some feedback? Your calls, queries or emails into us are welcome any time.
m: 0413 705 357
Proudly Partnered with: