What a FANTASTIC turn out last Saturday for our first session. It was AMAZING to see so many Little Athletes on the day – and we hope you enjoyed it as much as we did! There is a bit information that we’re covering in this week’s email, including:
1. Saturday 15th of October
2. A little bit about coaching
3. Stack TeamApp and social media accounts
4. State Combined Events Championships – 12 and 13 Nov
5. FAQs & our Code of Conduct
6. A note from our President
We are back for the second week this Saturday the 15th – and we can’t wait! The weather is looking good for our sessions – here are some details for this Saturday:
- Start times: 8:15AM for U6-U9 & 10AM for U10-U17. (Slightly later for the second session to allow transition from the 1st).
- Set up help: Parents of U9 Girls are on set up – please make the effort to arrive at 7:45 to help out. Parents of U11 Boys are on pack up duty.
- Coffee van: YES!
- BBQ: YES! Parents of U7 Girls and U12 Boys are on BBQ cooking duties – dust off those aprons!
- Bananas: YES! We have lots of free bananas each week (donated from Coles) – make sure you grab some.
- Where to go: little athletes should line up behind their age group sign (ie U8) and say hello to their Age Group Manager (who can tick them off as being present). It would be great if the parents could stand a little behind the children to allow them to mingle and gather. It can be a little intimidating for those little athletes to be surrounded by lots of people!
- What to bring: water bottle, hat & sunscreen (if sunny)
- Parent duties: have you signed up for 4 duties during the season? Please do so as we are all volunteers working with our kids to improve their athletic skill development. SIGN UP HERE
- Car parking: we have car parking at the track as well as in the streets – please be mindful of where you park in the streets so our neighbors can access their driveways
- First aid: located at the timing tent (Nicole is our designated first aider)
- Wet weather: wasn’t there some heavy rain this week?! Saturday is looking good at the moment but we do have a wet weather button on our WEBSITE (top left hand corner) which we will update at 7.30am if the weather is concerning and again at 9.15am for the second session. www.sandringhamlac.com.au
- Program: here is the program for this week. We might need to adjust it slightly on the day to accommodate group sizes. Last week we had over 20 trialists in one group! Click here for more info
A little bit about coaching
- Saturdays – You will see that each group has one Age Group Manager and at least one Coach assisting them the whole season. Our Coaches include current Little Athletes (U16 & U17), former Little Athletes and experienced parents.
- Wednesdays – We have FREE coaching for little athletes on Wednesdays at the track, starting from 4:30pm. It’s a great way to get in some practice and healthy exercise during the week, and to catch up with some some friends from Little Aths. The sign up is here
Stack TeamApp and social media accounts
- The Stack TeamApp holds all the consistent resources you need including latest news, “how to’ guides, links to mid week coaching and the much valued ‘parent duty’ – more info on Team App
- We also have a Facebook page and an Instagram account. Follow us for regular updates and news! @sandringhamlac
State Combined Events Championships – 12 and 13 November
- The 22/23 Commonwealth Bank State Combined Events Championships will take place at Lakeside Stadium, Albert Park on the 12th and 13th November 2022. The Combined Events consist of between four and seven separate disciplines (for each child) depending on which age group a child is in. Events consisting of five disciplines will be held on one day. Events consisting of more than five disciplines will be held on two consecutive days.
- Athletes in the Under 9 through to Under 17 age groups are eligible to participate – anyone is welcome! There are already a number of athletes from our Club who have signed up. Click here for more information
FAQs & Code of Conduct
Do you have any questions? There must be many!
Check out some of our handy FAQs hosted on this handy document here
As always, it’s really important that Little Athletics takes place in a safe, encouraging and respectful environment. We should all:
- Encourage children to participate if they are interested. However, if a child is not willing, do not force him or her
- Focus upon the child’s efforts rather than the overall outcome of the event. This assists the children in setting realistic goals related to his/her own ability by reducing the emphasis on winning. This is why we focus on PBs – not placings!
- Teach children that an honest effort is as important as victory, so that the result of each event is accepted without undue disappointment.
- Congratulate all participants upon their performance regardless of the event outcome.
- Remember that children participate in Little Athletics activities for fun. They are not participating for the entertainment of spectators, nor are they miniature professionals!
Please read through the Club’s code of conduct, which is hosted here
A note from our President
Where might you see our President, Nicole, and what does she do? Everywhere and everything! She is at coaching every Wednesday (running shuttle relays herself with the kids yesterday!), early at the track on Saturdays and does a huge amount of work behind the scenes. She’s always happy to chat to anyone and welcomes all suggestions – please say hello! Here is a little welcome note from Nicole:
A Note from the President
A warm welcome once again to our Club.
We trust Saturday was fun & exciting for everyone in your family, I certainly enjoyed receiving feedback from numerous kids about their experiences on the day – wow an under 6 athlete can now jump 20m!
I am highly motivated by the remarkable team I volunteer with at the Club. The Sandy Committee Team, all working parents are truly invested in our mission of being a community spirited club and creating the right platform for kids of all abilities to learn the fundamentals of sport: running, throwing and jumping. But there is more, our older athletes are given opportunities through our coaching pathways program to learn the skills of coaching, we teach through opportunities about ‘competition’ (winning, losing, team spirit, doing your best, club pride, race strategy etc) and we provide skill development & fitness opportunities for older athletes.
Who are your Committee? Our website provides photos and a snapshot of everyone on the team. They are always there to help, receive feedback or recruit you into a role (just kidding).
Our website is also home to many of our policies and procedures including grievance, extreme weather, codes of conduct, dogs at the track (on leash and not on infield) and more.
Take every opportunity, encourage your child to give something a go (even if it is 1 lap of a 1500m, next time maybe 2 laps) and please continue to support your club, your kids in this program by helping whenever you can.
I welcome feedback or ideas at any time and provide my details for contact below.
How many more days until Saturday?! Not many – see you all then!
m: 0413 705 357
Proudly Partnered with: