Here. We. Go!
What an amazing Saturday we had last week. Not only was the session at Sandy a fabulous one, but the SMR track and field competition weekend was jam packed with amazing performances and sportsmanship.
This week’s email covers:
- This Saturday 25th Feb
- Centre Championships – 25th March
- SLAC Centre Awards
- Mladen Canadi – SLAC Life Membership
- Regional Track & Field results
This Saturday 25th February
Below are some further details for this Saturday:
- Start times: 8:15AM for U6–U9s and 9:45AM for U10-U17.
- Set up and pack up help: Parents of U7 GIRLS are on set up this week. Please make the effort to arrive at 7:20am to help out. Parents of U12 BOYS are on pack up please.
- Coffee van: YES!
- BBQ: YES! Parents of U8 GIRLS & U10 GIRLS please help out as you are on BBQ duty. The BBQ is an enormous undertaking but a crucial fundraiser for the club.
- Zooper doopers – YES!
- Bananas: YES! (Free, free, free).
- Merchandise: We won’t be selling much merchandise on Saturdays anymore given everyone is decked out in their gear! If there is a singlet/hoodie etc that you need, you can buy it online through our website and collect it at the track on a Wednesday or Saturday. (Search under member info Uniform & Merchandise on the Sandringham Little Athletics website – www.sandringhamlac.com.au/index.php/uniform-merchandise
- Weather: Check out the weather button on our website (in the top left hand corner), which we will update at 7.30am on Saturday mornings if the weather is concerning – and again at 9.15am so as to cover the second session.
- Program: here is the program for this week CLICK HERE
- Senior Aths Representatives will also be coming to the second session on Saturday: Parents, representatives of the Senior Club will be at the track for the start of the second session to chat to the U12,13,14-17’s about senior athletics. They will also be available to parents if you have any questions.
- High Jump (including Scissor practice for States) – This Saturday (and next) from 7:30am, the scissor mat will be available for those successful in qualifying for State Track and Field and needing some additional practice. The High Jump mats will be available at the end of the second session for those older athletes needing practice time as well. Gordon has also offered to open the High Jump (not scissor mats) on Wednesday for those who need to practice for States (4.30pm-5.30pm). Sign up is required: https://signup.com/go/VqGdYzM
Centre Championships – 25th March
This is our big club competition of the season and it is being held on Saturday 25th March. It is a kids favourite as they choose the events they want to compete in!
- When do registrations open? Centre Championships nominations go live on Saturday 25th February 12pm and close 10pm Tuesday 21 March. Some events will be capped.
- How do I nominate / enter my child? It’s all done online through ResultsHQ – so make sure that you know how to log into ResultsHQ, and if you need any guidance please just click here. Any athletes participating in the Centre Championships must nominate via the invite seen on theResultsHQ portal. You cannot just turn up on the day.
- How many events can my child enter?
- Under 6 – Under 7 athletes will be able to choose a maximum of 3 events to compete in.
- Under 8 – Under 16 athletes will be able to choose a maximum of 5 events to compete in.
- What Time? The program starts around 8am FOR ALL and concludes by 12.30pm.
- Is there a Cost? Centre Championships are free to members.
- Are there Prizes? Medals are awarded for 1st, 2nd or 3rd place or a ribbon for the next 10 places.
SLAC Centre Awards
These are different to the Centre Championships and involve points accruing evenly over each NOMINATED week of regular Sandy Little Aths competition.
Athletes in U7—U17 Age Groups will be awarded a Trophy & Certificate for 1st, 2nd & 3rd places in the season and a Certificate for each of 4th to 10th place. Athletes in U6 receive a participation medal which will be given out at the day of our Centre Championships.
The Club also awards the following:
- U7-U17 Age Group Personal Best (ie highest number of PB’s over the whole season- Top 3 # centre champion winners excluded.)
- Centre Records for Current Season
- Recognition Certificate and thank you to our Graduating Under 17 Athletes
- Club Awards will be presented to award winners on Saturday 1 April straight after the club AGM
How are the points accrued?
- The dates which are counted towards these awards are confirmed by the SLAC Committee and have been published on our Season Calendar since the start of the season (there is an * next to a point round).
- Athletes must be a SLAC registered and paid member by COB on the Wednesday prior to a session to accumulate points from that session.
- Trial athletes will not be eligible for points.
- Each event scores points according to the overall placing in that Age Group and Gender.
- Points can only be earned in the specific events in the program for that age group and gender allocated to that event day.
Last week, Mike and Nicole surprised Mladen with the news that the SLAC Committee had agreed he be nominated for Life Membership to the Club.
Mladen has been with the club for more than 10 years, having had two children enjoy the little aths program and one continuing to coach alongside him with the Under 6’s.
Mladen’s children have long left little aths but he still supports passionately our development program making sure our kids at entry level are taught the right sporting skill fundamentals and ensuring our incoming coaches know the same. Not only does Mladen add experience as a Level 2 coach and athlete himself but he offers incredible energy & fun to every session.
We are very proud to honour Mladen this way and will present him with a plaque next week and include his name on our Life Members Honour Board Roll inside the Club Rooms.
Regional Track & Field results
What an exciting weekend for Sandringham and the broader SMR – have a flick through the photos online HERE
You know that you are in a strong region when you finish 5th or 6th in the region, but still make it into the States final.
Well done to so many of our athletes who are likely to progress (final placing are confirmed on 23 Feb by LAVIC) and those who had amazing PBs on the day and tried so hard! We love how you all support each other and show great manners to others.
Here are a few of the many highlights:
- How good are our future little up and comers? Those U9s made us so proud! Coco, Billie, Gemma, Isla and Matilda had some terrific results for the girls – with 6 medal placings! The boys had some amazing PBs on the day too – well done to Milo, Elliot, Hugo, Jasper, Ethan, Finn, Jakob and Zachary. Jakob scored two gold medals (shot put and hurdles)! While Zachary had an amazing 800m run which placed him in the top 12 of all U9 boys in Vic – watch out States, here they come.
- There was also some great middle distance running in the U12 Girls – Matilda and Leni took the first two placings in each of the 400, 800 and 1500m.
- Teddy Bowen took home 3 golds in the U12 Boys, while Michael Nicolin ran some great long distance races.
- We must say some sporting genes must also be getting passed down in the club successfully… Talia Franchina scored a medal in every event she entered in U13 girls!
- It would probably take 4 newsletter pages to call out all of the successes of the U10 Girls – medal after medal, and likely State finalists in SO MANY EVENTS. A 1st, 2nd and 3rd medal in the long jump to say the least. What a group – Polly, Mackenzie, Allana, Charlie, Hope, Maddison,
- Matthew Milias scored FOUR GOLD MEDALS – we need to interview him to see how many weet bix he eats a day…
- We always knew the U11 Boys had some stars– how good were they all? Well done Cooper, Callan, Miles, Liam, Evan, Alex, Orlando, Henry and Tim
Phew…. That’s certainly not all either! If you’d like to check out all of the results – have a look through the results here: https://lavic.resultshub.com.au
Looks like Wednesdays’ middle distance training with Todd is working for many at the club!
See you all on Saturday!
m: 0413 705 357